Thursday, July 01, 2004

Daisy's online

Thanks to The Living Room Candidate, you can now view campaign ads online. This is exciting for me - I took politics classes in school and focused on media, especially television and its role in politics. So now people of my generation can view the ad that pretty much ruined Goldwater's chances just by existing. "Daisy" was never actually shown as an ad, if I remember correctly. The news media found out about it and showed it on the news. Go view it - it's creepy scary.

Another favorite of mine is "Bear" from the Reagan campaign. This one isn't scary - it's just freaky how much meaning people put with this random ad. Here's the transcript:
ANNOUNCER: There is a bear in the woods. For some people the bear is easy to see. Others don't see it at all. Some people say the bear is tame. Others say it's vicious and dangerous. Since no one can really be sure who's right, isn't it smart to be as strong as the bear? If there is a bear?
If this showed now, we'd say, "Huh? Explain that to us."

I'm going to put a link to this on my side menu. Finding this amazing online resource has made my day a little better.

edit: b/c I can't spell ruined.