Sunday, October 24, 2004

Statesman endorses Bush

I got about six emails this morning (from Austin for Change) about the Statesman endorsing Bush and the answering protest. Unfortunately I'm still getting over an allergy attack, so I couldn't join in the protest on Congress bridge.

I am a little surprised about the endorsement, as I think a lot of Austinites are. I assumed since it is an Austin paper, it would reflect the thoughts of the community. I have little doubt that Kerry will win Austin (there's no way he can win Texas, however). Austin is an extremely liberal community and a lot of us are very upset with this administration.

I'm going with the optimistic thought that the editors wanted to endorse Kerry, and the publishers made them endorse Bush. Call me naive, but it helps me feel a little better.