Thursday, November 04, 2004

some good news?

I heard a clip of Arlen Specter on NPR this morning, and I did feel reassured.
The Republican expected to chair the Senate Judiciary Committee next year bluntly warned newly re-elected President Bush today against putting forth Supreme Court nominees who would seek to overturn abortion rights or are otherwise too conservative to win confirmation.

Sen. Arlen Specter, fresh from winning a fifth term in Pennsylvania, also said the current Supreme Court now lacks legal "giants" on the bench.
Houston Chronicle: Specter warns Bush on high court nominations

Be sure and read the choice quote in the article from John Cornyn. I love that a junior Senator from Texas is threatening a senior Senator. Well, I don't necessarily love it, but it strikes me as funny. I've heard tales of the days when John Cornyn was before the Supreme Court himself as a lawyer. I was told he appeared rather idiotic. All I can say is, don't blame me! I voted for Ron Kirk (who went to college with my parents)!