Wednesday, May 07, 2003

So I just got back from my attempt to see the doctor. I say attempt because although I got there in plenty of time (I filled out all the paperwork and got weighed in), my appointment was disrupted by a smoke attack. I was waiting in the exam room, with one tennis shoe half-off, reading a poster on the many different versions of the Pill available, when someone popped into the waiting room and told us that we had to evacuate the building because of a large amount of smoke. I put my shoe on and walked out the building with the doctor and her secretary, and we noticed the fire engine outside. We thought we could go inside any minute now, until a Special Operations truck pulled up 25 minutes later. The doctor asked if I just wanted to reschedule, and I finally agreed that would be best after waiting outside in the gross humidity for 40 minutes. I actually wished I had a cell phone while waiting outside, since I can't really read One Hundred Years of Solitude standing in a misty parking lot. I guess I'll have to make an appointment for later on this week.