Wednesday, December 17, 2003

I've pretty much decided that, come the new year, I am going to go church-hopping.

I will get to see how different faiths celebrate God, and perhaps find a church home that I feel comfortable with. Right now, I am uncomfortable at my church for various reasons. One of them being that I dislike the service going over an hour. I believe in the efficiency of time. If we are going to have communion every Sunday (which we are, pretty much), then the time for the rest of the service should be planned accordingly.

I went to a Lutheran church in Minnesota and they handled it very well. The sermons were well-put and to-the-point. They didn't speak down to the congregation, but affirmed the open quality of the church. There was communion every Sunday and the services just flowed. There was lovely music and community. I really miss that church. =(

Anyway, I hate to leave my church, because most of the congregation is like family to me, I am supposed to be representing my church on the board of MDC, and my parents won't be able to take me out for lunch after church. But it just isn't working. Worship is not supposed to be so frustrating. I won't move my membership - at least not for a while.

This is such a hard decision to come to, but I really have to. I'm going to visit Episcopalian, Lutheran and maybe Methodist churches. Perhaps I'll get up the nerve to visit a synagogue. I am slightly nervous about this decision, because I am moving from the familiar. I am moving from a situation where I am known by most of the congregation to visiting where no one knows me. We'll see how it goes.