Friday, December 05, 2003

Yesterday evening I went to the store right after work to pick up bread for a pot-luck dinner. This old (obviously Republican) guy in front of me in line started talking to the clerk about how he had to buy out-of-town newspapers, because he didn't trust the "communist" local paper. I actually started giggling behind him in line. How could I not? While he thinks the local paper is too-left swinging, I think it is a tad too conservative. I guess they must be doing something right. Anyway, I wanted to tell this guy that the reason he likes the out-of-town papers is because they are owned by different corporations than the local one. The idea of the local paper being run by communists made me want to laugh out loud. I think the clerk checking him out did a good job of keeping a good face. The people behind me weren't even paying attention, which was slightly disappointing.