Tuesday, February 24, 2004

Never mind, I won't be watching it at all



Apparently all the critics agree on one thing; Gibson's movie The Passion is overly violent. I can barely handle the flogging in Jesus Christ Superstar, so I don't think I'm going to be able to watch this film. Here's a link to one review: RollingStone.com: Movies: Reviews: The Passion of Christ

The reviewer has this to say: "So graphic are the torture scenes -- flayings, a crown of thorns, whips with barbed metal tips, nails driven into hands and feet -- that the film seems like the greatest story ever told by the Marquis de Sade. "

He also says there is a scene where a tear from God falls from heaven in a melodramatic style. If there is one thing I can't stand in a movie besides violence, it is sentimental mush. And I'm sorry, but that sounds completely hokey to me!

What with all the controversy and bitterness surrounding this film, it was doubtful I would catch it. But now that I've read such reviews, I have no desire whatsoever to watch it. I'll still comment on it though. . .

edit: because I overuse the same words and I can't spell movie.