Thursday, February 26, 2004

Some in G.O.P. Cool to Gay Marriage Ban

My favorite quote from the article:

"Senator John Cornyn, Republican of Texas, a main Senate advocate of the amendment, expressed a similar view.

"We cannot simply sit idly by, in my opinion, and let activist judges radically redefine the institution of marriage when it stands in stark relief and defiance of the will of the American people," he said."(I added emphasis.)

They are taking their time to get more votes, apparently. I can't decide if this is a good or bad thing in the long run. I can say, I don't think it's going to help Bush, as nothing will be decided by November. As for this quote, I don't think this amendment will represent the will of the American people. I can't believe Cornyn beat Ron Kirk!!! Waaa.

I went to an Ash Wednesday service with my church-hopping friends last night and we discussed this issue. M and B tend to vote Republican, but apparently this amendment endorsement by Bush is the last straw. As B pointed out, though, Kerry isn't against the amendment either. I guess there's always Nader to vote for. . .