Thursday, March 25, 2004


Madame C.J. Walker (Sarah Breedlove McWilliams Walker)


Madame C. J. Walker was a great inventor and businesswoman whose innovations have impacted the beauty-trade. She invented a hair softener that could be used with an iron comb to straighten hair. She created a regime of hair-care products that she called "The Walker System". She went on to form schools of beauty, and amassed a large fortune, becoming one of the first African-American millionaires.

A few years ago, I read The Black Rose, which is a sort of fictionalized biography of Madame C. J. Walker. I think I checked it out because Alex Haley had started the work on it and died before finishing it. I remember it being a very interesting book, and that's about it. I read so many books, I'm surprised I remember this one. I don't know if I'd recommend this book, but I strongly recommend reading up on this awesome woman.

- Info on the Madame Walker stamp
- Indiana Historical Society's site for the Madame C. J. Walker Collection - includes a VERY detailed biography.