Monday, April 05, 2004

Kurt Cobain, 10 years ago

I was never a big fan of Kurt Cobain, but I must admit Nirvana and his music had a large effect on current music. Nirvana, along with Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and other such influential bands from the 90s, helped change the movement of rock and roll from the stagnant state it was in. I couldn't stand the way he sang, but I have to admit his influence on rock and roll history. The link above takes you to NPR's collection of stories on this anniversary of his death.

Sidenote: I remember junior year of high school, this one girl in my English class wrote dozens of elegies to Kurt, and asked me to read and judge them for her. I still don't understand why. Her poetry and my reading of it was our only connection. This anniversary makes me wonder where she is now.