Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Capital Metro restructuring

Here's my first official Austin entry here. I have been hearing about how Capital Metro has come up with a plan for how to deal with the increase in population here and the strong need for better transportation options. So I went to the site last week and took a survey. You can see their plans here. The thing is, I live in Northeast Austin. None of these proposals will help with east-west traffic. They only deal with north-south traffic (which is an issue, I'll give you that). I just don't see how these plans will be of help to me, or that I will have an opportunity to put them to use. I'm very wary of these proposals.

I'm planning on going to an open house and/or a workshop so I can be more informed. I think it is a great idea to use rail services (would prefer light rail!), but as M1EK's Bake-Sale of Bile points out here, the Rapid Bus Routes proposed wouldn't really be much of an improvement.

Now, if Austin could get some HOV lanes, that would be a beneficial improvement. I just don't see that happening anytime soon.