Thursday, May 13, 2004

sick day

I'm having my bi-yearly allergy attack, so I'm off work today. I just finished watching Elephant and it left me very shaken. I knew the plot, and it still freaked me out. It seems such a simple, well-shot film, but it is so much more than that. And the thing that really hit me about the film was the lack of judgement made in it. There is no answer at the end of the film. It leaves you to decide what you want about it (I love when films do this). The "bad guys" are portrayed as equally as the "good guys". I just don't know what else to say. I think everyone should see it. It's worth watching just for the school building itself. I was amazed at the length and breadth of the school. But I went to a poor(er) inner-city school that was much smaller. And why were the halls so void of people in the film?

Anyway, this film definitely left me thinking (and made me reminiscent for the days I could use the school darkroom).