Wednesday, June 23, 2004

BAADASSSSSS!

What I learned from the free showing last night of Baadasssss! :

1. Bill Cosby helped finance the last stages of filming for Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song.
2. Melvin van Peebles had to use p*rn filmmakers, because they weren't unionized. I think that was the reason. He also wanted a decent minority representation on the crew.
3. Earth, Wind and Fire did the soundtrack.
4. There is a whole lot of nekkidness and cussin' in 'SSBS'.
5. I now have no desire to see same film.

Although I really enjoyed Baadasssss!, it didn't really make me feel like I need to see the film it documents. It is a semi-comic tale of the making of Melvin van Peebles' historical work. Mario, his real-life son, plays his father.

I love the combination of story and interviews, especially the real interviews during the credits. David Alan Grier is hilarious, and there are a few scenes that had me cracking up. I'd strongly recommend at least renting the film, if you can't catch it in the theatre. Be prepared for scenes "of a graphic nature", and enjoy!