Saturday, July 03, 2004

maybe this is better than I thought (for our side, anyway)

Working on Saturday, again. I just found this: Baptists Angry at Bush Campaign Tactics
The Southern Baptist Convention, a conservative denomination closely aligned with President Bush, said it was offended by the Bush-Cheney campaign's effort to use church rosters for campaign purposes.

"I'm appalled that the Bush-Cheney campaign would intrude on a local congregation in this way," said Richard Land, president of the Southern Baptist Convention's Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission.

"The bottom line is, when a church does it, it's nonpartisan and appropriate. When a campaign does it, it's partisan and inappropriate," he said. "I suspect that this will rub a lot of pastors' fur the wrong way."

The Bush campaign defended a memo in which it sought to mobilize church members by providing church directories to the campaign, arranging for pastors to hold voter-registration drives, and talking to various religious groups about the campaign.
Maybe those Southern Baptists are smarter than I give them credit for! Good for them. I know I'd get angry if I found that my church had given my address out to a campaign. That just blows my mind.