Friday, August 06, 2004

I rant on KMFA

I was a music minor, if I haven't mentioned it by now (I'm sure I have). Taking classes in music theory and history has helped me appreciate music. I have eclectic tastes; I listen to folk, classic rock, bluegrass, opera, rockabilly, power pop, oldies, world, "real" country, Classical, Romantic, and even a good amount of 20th Century music (except Phillip Glass - urgh!).

Since my graduation, I have tried to listen to more "classical" music on the radio. Knowing the movements that affected certain composers, I feel like I can understand more about the music. When I was in Minnesota, I found a classical station out of St. Olaf College that played the best selection.

I thought when I moved back to Austin, the station here would be even better. However, the station here has gotten progressively worse. In the past couple of years, they have cut fun and educational shows like "The Basics" (which I was a huge fan of, whenever I remembered to catch it), and have increased the play of soundtracks. Now, I like movies, therefore, I like soundtracks. But they are not playing soundtracks like "On the Waterfront" or even "Glory"! They play "Dances with Wolves" practically every week.

They have moved to Classical Lite. They play more popular pieces, more frequently. I'm just so disappointed. It frustrates me that this my only option for classical music radio here in town. I can't afford digital radio, and I certainly can't afford to buy all the CDs of my favorite works.

Basically, I'm stuck. Brey has brought this (the death of classical music radio) up before, but I just had to rant on it today, as I heard the strains of "Dances with Wolves" starting up.