Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Women's History Month: Toni Morrison



Happy Women's History Month! My first post of the month will be on Toni Morrison.

Toni Morrison, author of Beloved, which I was required to read once for high school and then again in college, was the first African-American woman to win the Nobel Prize in Literature.

I haven't gone back and read Beloved again, but I really feel I ought to. There are a couple of small sections in the book that are difficult to interpret. One girl and I spent hours trying to figure them out when we were studying for our class final. And of course the professor had told us that wouldn't be on the final, but we were really getting somewhere with it. Of course, now I only vaguely remember how far we came with it.

I'm not a huge Morrison fan, but I definitely feel it is important to include her works in the canon of American greats.

Wikipedia: Toni Morrison
Anniina's Toni Morrison Page