Friday, May 30, 2003

Wow, today is Friday. I am so glad this week is over. It has been short, but crazy and hectic enough to make up for it. When in my life did I have to start looking forward to the weekends to get me through the week?

I heard a great story on NPR that really got me energized this morning. Apparently in DC they are doing an updated version of "Fidelio". I think it is one of my favorite operas because it is the first one I saw live, and because I just love Beethoven. This opera deals with issues that other operas of its time didn't try to. I will say that musically, it isn't all that great, but the subject matter is what it's all about. The story is here if you'd like to listen. It is amazing how relevant that opera can be to our situation today. Who knew? I guess liberty, freedom (intellectual and otherwise), and unfair imprisonment are issues that have never gone out of style.

CD of the day: Shakira, Laundry Service. Listening to it in my car this morning I wondered, why did I like this CD?