Tuesday, June 17, 2003

A few months ago I went to the Dallas area to see my pal K. I went to church with my aunt, uncle and cousins that weekend. I had been to their church before, and while it is much different from my liberal-Presbyterianism, it hadn't been too bad when I visited last. This experience was different though. This time we were at "war", and had to pray for the "President". I felt sooo uncomfortable and I think I confused my cousins by my somewhat quiet sounds of dissent. And to top all of this off, Priscilla Owen was visiting! She spoke IN THE CHURCH before the service started, to the congregation, as I wriggled in my seat. At the end of her whiny speech (I'm not exagerrating - she sounded like she was about to cry the whole time she was speaking), the congregation gave her a standing ovation. My cousins didn't know her background or who she was, and they stood and applauded til they saw I didn't. I was the only person in the congregation who did not applaud for this woman. I was so offended that such an obvious political character was asked to speak in church! My aunt apologized afterwards, and I told her it was okay, it just felt so weird hearing somehting like that in church.

I know my experience is not unique. I do attend church regularly, but we never talk of politics. We talk of mission and helping others, we don't discuss court appointees, you know? Priscilla Owen was standing in front of a somewhat-prosperous congregation, exclaiming her difficulties on getting appointed and ASKED FOR PRAYERS for herself and her family.

I was reminded of this experience upon reading this on Eschaton. Please protest the appointments of these ultra-conservative, far from compassionate, judges.

Glad I got that off my chest.