Tuesday, February 03, 2004

Those crazy frog-eating triplets


So - I saw The Triplets of Belleville last night with M. I don't think I got it. I mean, as a work of art, it is amazing, but as a story, it's not so great. The characters are basically caricatures, and there's very limited dialogue. The music is neat, and I loved the depiction of Glenn Gould at the beginning - it is dead on. It was quite humorous in places, but the ending disappointed me. It was such a let-down; I turned to M and said, "That's the end?!"

The only characters with personality are the grandmother and the dog, and maybe the triplets. The man they are trying to save is devoid of any life - he stares vaguely and unblinkingly into space.

The gist of my review is - as a study of European animation it is worth checking out, but otherwise I can't recommend it. Wait 'til it comes out on DVD.

On another note - we got to view the Disney-Dali collaboration short Destino, which was breath-takingly beautiful. I'm not the biggest fan of Dali, but I was just amazed at what he came up with. If you can find this in your area, I strongly recommend viewing it. It is simply fascinating (and the music isn't bad either).

It was funny; when they announced that we would get to view this short before the French film, this one guy in the audience gave an ecstatic cheer. I have to say - I would now do the same.