Wednesday, January 28, 2004

Capturing the Friedmans


I had jury selection yesterday. Long story short - I didn't get picked to be on the jury for a real estate law case. I got to my apartment about 4pm and had time to start watching the DVD of Capturing the Friedmans I had just gotten from Netflix in the mail. This film is so engrossing. There are so many different viewpoints discussed, and it is up to you to decide what you think. The filmmakers don't judge for you. It deserves all the laud it has gotten; it's just that good. It's up for an Oscar, and I hope it wins.

I'm going to finish watching it (again) tonight, but this time with the director's commentary on. It just fascinates me that when they started work on this film it was going to be about New York City clowns, but it turned into something much more vital. It is about Arnie and Jesse and the allegations made against them, but it is also about the family and how this basically brought them to a breaking point. Rent the DVD or buy it and see what you think.