Monday, March 01, 2004

yes, I watched the Oscars

I have to say that this year's Oscar ceremony was better than last. My favorite Oscar moments, in no certain order:
- the homage to Kate Hepburn
- the performance of "A Kiss at the End of the Rainbow" by Mitch and Mickey (the only real moment of suspense - I wondered if they would kiss or not)
- Sofia Coppola winning Best Original Screenplay for Lost in Translation
- when Sean Penn commented about WMDs in his speech
- when Michael Moore made a cameo in the Billy Crystal intro video
- the "boring" song sung by Jack Black and Will Ferrell

and that's about it. I was glad Lord of the Rings won Best Picture, but I wish the rest of the awards could have been more spread out. I love Annie Lennox, but I don't think that "Into the West" was the best song. I thought the song from The Triplets of Belleville was sure to win, but perhaps that's because I've heard it so much on KUT. I do think James Horner's music was deserving of his win, but part of me wanted Thomas Newman to win for the Finding Nemo music.

And I wanted Capturing the Friedmans to win Best Documentary, darn it! I guess I should check out this Fog of War movie when it comes out on DVD. I already missed my chance to see a free showing of it.

At least Lost in Translation kicked a-- at the Independent Spirit Awards! I just happened to catch those on Saturday night. They were so much fun, but would have been better live. I didn't get to see enough John Waters.

Oscar Night: Winners List

CD of the moment: I bought Alison Krauss and Union Station: Live on a whim and I love it (I also bought the DVDs of Pieces of April and Lost in Translation at the same time).