Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Christianity and blogging

I have just learned through Ralph Luker that Allen Brill, formerly of the Right Christians and now involved in The Village Gate, is leaving the blog world. This is quite disappointing to me. Since TVG began, I haven't been involved, but I was a reader and frequent commenter at the now-defunct Right Christians site.

Allen says in his entry:
I have been thoroughly rejected by the dominant individuals in the progressive blogosphere. I have no connections in the established church bodies or parachurch organizations. I began as one voice. That one voice is now tired and frustrated.


It saddens me that the blogosphere is losing such a voice. I believe that the separation and dichotomy between progressive liberals/Democrats will hurt us rather than help anything. We have progressive Christians, progressive environmentalists, liberal feminists, etc. Surely not all Republicans agree on certain issues, but their party is just picking up steam (and money) while we bicker between ourselves on what is more important.

As a progressive Christian, I realize I am biased in my views as far as Allen and his organization are concerned. I was excited to know that there were other Progressive Christians out there in the blogosphere. I wish we could just get our act together and recognize that we can only benefit from diversity.

But I'm just optimistic that way.