Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Can You Forgive Her?

I just started reading this book a few minutes ago, but decided to look up information about it on the internet before I invested my time into it. I checked it out from the library because I haven't read Trollope before. I may still continue to work on it, but this comment is enough to make me change my mind:
At its root, Can You Forgive Her? is a sexist novel; only to the irrational women in the story is it not clear that George Vavasour is a villain.
The review also states that his female characters tend towards one-dimensionality and the author is unwilling to give them real personalities.

Well, I'll keep on for a little more, but these points are rather daunting. I like my female characters strong and opinionated. I think the last 19th century book I read was North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell. In that work, the main female character works for the betterment of others, and resists her feelings for a man she thinks callous. True, the author's depiction of working class people is quite stereotypical. I still liked it in the end.

Review of Trollope's Can You Forgive Her?