Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Jesus: the original bleeding-heart liberal?

I knew this was happening in town this week, because Austin Area Interreligious Ministries was involved in it (I wanted to hear Helen Thomas, but oh well.). I was surprised to find this story on Myway. My favorite spots:
If ever there were a bleeding-heart liberal, it was Jesus Christ," Moore said at Congregation Agudas Achim synagogue. "I think the carpenter from Galilee was the original Democrat."
. . . . . . .

"As I read the Scriptures and as I understand faith, God's side is the group that's feeding the poor, caring about children, making sure that people have enough food to eat - not killing others," said Tutt, who opposes the war in Iraq.

. . . . . .

"Interestingly, Jesus never sided with any of these groups but remained above such earthly disputes," Davis said. "This does not mean we should do the same. He was God. We are mere humans."

Religion Experts Ask How Jesus Would Vote