Thursday, November 18, 2004

This Year's National Book Awards

The only fiction nominee I was able to read this year was Ideas of Heaven, which I didn't care much for. I might have to check out the winner this year (The News From Paraguay).

Last night, Judy Blume was awarded the Medal for Distinguished Contribution to American Letters. I didn't realize that she was "Named this year by the American Library Association as one of the most censored writer[sic] of the last 15 years". I know that she is often on the challenged books list for such works as Are you There, God? It's Me, Margaret. I was raised on her books. My mom even gave me a Judy Blume diary when I was much younger. I wonder whatever happened to it - I certainly didn't fill it up.

The New York Times > Books > South America Epic Wins the National Book Award