Monday, December 13, 2004

are we what we hate?

I think I understand this article, or at least what it is attempting to say. It makes the statement that for all our anti-consumerism rhetoric, we are still a highly consumer culture. The main thesis of the article:
In fact, the critique of mass society has been one of the most powerful forces driving consumerism for more than 40 years.
I have yet to see Fight Club, so can't comment much on the analysis, but I have seen American Beauty. I look back on that film with a bad taste in my mouth. What do I remember fondly about it? Annette Bening's acting. That's about it. I do like the statement:
What american beauty illustrates, with extraordinary clarity, is that rebelling against mass society is not the same thing as rebelling against consumer society.
Yeah. Go read more.

This Magazine: The Rebel Sell