Thursday, August 28, 2003

I don't think ANY of my principals were ever this cool:

A message from the principal.

I think that is the funniest thing I have seen all week. I almost cried, reading it. Plus, the principal went to my alma mater, so that's an added bonus! Here's a sample:

"State law has now made the Pledge of Allegiance and the Pledge to the Flag of Texas mandatory on a daily basis. In every school where I've been principal, I've expected the Pledge of Allegiance to be a daily activity along with a clear understanding of what the words meant. I must admit that, until recently, I didn't even know that there existed a Texas pledge and I attended Austin College in Sherman, Texas. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the Texas pledge, here it is.

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

I now wonder if all states have a pledge? What about cities? Being a native New Yorker I do know the Brooklyn pledge:

"Oh Brooklyn, my Brooklyn, no never will I roam
Cause where else on the same block
Can you eat a knish and a calzone?"

Of course, just to make things interesting, parents can request that their children say only one pledge, or no pledges. This request must be submitted in writing. We are asking that you help us with the needed paperwork. If your child can say both pledges, please attach the word "pledges" to his shirt. If he can only say the U.S. Pledge of Allegiance, please attach the word "pledge." If he can only say the Texas pledge, please attach the word "y'all." If you wish that no pledges be said, attach nothing. If your child is a two-pledge student and you forgot to attach the word "pledges" please call the school between 7:43 and 7:45 so that we may attach the appropriate word to your child's clothes. If you wish that both pledges be said but only on the even days of the month, attach the phrase "two, four, six, eight." I realize that these instructions may have to be sent home more than once until we get the process firmly in place. "

I promise you, there is more to enjoy. Please go read it.