Wednesday, October 01, 2003

This morning I got gas at my favorite local service station. There was this weak looking forty-something man in greasy overalls walking with a harsh sort of limp. As I was getting gas he asked if I could drop him off at the light at the end of the block, where his van had broken down. I said, "Okay." Part of me was thinking, this poor, poor guy, and a small part of me was thinking, he could carjack me! When I was paying for the gas, the owner of the station asked me if I was giving that guy a ride. I told him I was, and that I thought it would be okay, since I was just taking him down the block. And that's what I did. As he got out of the car, he thanked me and said he would pray for me.

Driving the rest of the way to work, all of the scenarios that could have happened popped into mind. I find it sad that in our current society doing good for your neighbor has such ramifications, especially if you are a single female. Since it was the middle of the morning and this guy looked so down, I didn't think anything would happen. And it didn't.