Wednesday, September 24, 2003

Bridge to Terabithia


Katherine Paterson is an ex-missionary who has written such collections as Angels and Other Strangers, which I think is the greatest collection of short stories based around Christmas ever. I also love Jacob Have I Loved, although it is a pretty depressing book. It is interesting to read a book written from the point of view of the lesser sister.

But my banned/challenged book of the day is Bridge to Terabithia, which is probably her best-known work. I remember when I was in elementary school they showed a movie version of it on Wonderworks, which used to be shown on PBS. Does anyone else remember that show?

Anyway, it is basically about a boy who has to deal with a new next-door neighbor. They become friends and share an imaginary kingdom. I really should re-read it, since I haven't read it since elementary school! I do remember the haunting ending, though. *sigh*

For more information on Katherine Paterson and her books, visit terabithia.com.

CD of the week: Lauryn Hill, The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill. I've got that in my car and Shawn Colvin's Fat City in my apartment. Both REALLY good CDs.