Monday, September 22, 2003

It's Banned Books Week!


I'm back, yay! Last week was hard, but hopefully will aid me financially.

This week is Banned Books Week and to celebrate how ignorant our nation is, I will celebrate one banned/challenged book a day.

Today's book is In the Night Kitchen by Maurice Sendak. It is #21 on the list of the 100 most challenged books. For those of you unfamiliar with this great book, I'll give you a little background. A little boy dreams of flying around a "night kitchen" in a suit made of dough and almost gets baked into a dish. My sister and I were pretty much raised on this book and Goodnight Moon. I have a feeling it is challenged in libraries because of nudity objections. Whatever! It is a terrific kid's book. Both my sister and I have memorized, "I'm in the milk and the milk's in me! God bless milk and God bless me!" It is worth reading for the illustrations alone. Sendak's style is just amazing.