Monday, January 05, 2004

The best exhibit ever

On New Year's Day, L and I drove down to Houston to see the exhibit there of works from New York's MoMA. We had to wait in long lines. The exhibit was more crowded than WalMart on a weekend. I could barely see "Starry Night" and wasn't able to see Dali's "Persistence of Memory" at all. BUT IT WAS WORTH IT!!!!

My new favorites (in no particular order):
Henri Rousseau's The Dream
Robert DeLauney's Simultaneus contrasts: sun and moon
Edward Hopper's New York Movie - so haunting.
Picasso's Girl Before a Mirror
Roy Lichtenstein, Girl Drowning
Jasper John's Map, 1978.
Chagall's I and the village
and there was another painting that I loved of a woman who was the painter's wife. It was brown and gold and lovely, but I can't remember the painter or the title of the painting!! I should have written it down. It was from the early 20th century, placed near the Rousseau and the Munch. I loved it.