Tuesday, June 08, 2004

musings on Vanity Fair

I have gone here to view the trailer of Vanity Fair. As a fan of the book and the director (Mira Nair), I have to comment on the trailer. I hope I am wrong in my perception, but it appears they have made Becky Sharp a sympathetic character. I think Thackeray would not be too happy about it. The only character in the book who gets off scot-free is the narrator, and perhaps Dobbin. Becky is a gold-digger who works for acceptance in society by doing some rather devious things. Amelia is a simpering wimp, a goody-goody who accepts what life doles out to her. Captain Rawdon Cawley is as focused on money as his wife, Becky. This is why the book is so great and funny. I am afraid the movie will lack this satirical feeling. The trailer makes it out to be a melodrama. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.