Monday, June 07, 2004

my lazy crazy weekend

1. Reagan died. I feel muddled about it. He made some great quotes, and had a lot of class, but he made a lot of mistakes too. I will say, he is in one of my favorite classic movies, entitled One for the Book, or the Voice of the Turtle (I kid you not, my friend). I have about 25 favorite classic movies, and this is one of them. You just can't go wrong with Reagan, lovely Eleanor Parker, and sharp Eve Arden. The plot: Eleanor Parker plays a scatterbrained actress who has had problems with love. Eve Arden is her friend who has made plans with two men for this evening. EP takes one of the guys, a soldier on leave played by Reagan. Of course, it's a love story, but it is slightly risque for the time period. Anyway, you can't find it on video, but maybe TCM will play it again and you can catch it.

2. I am reading Peyton Place. It is extremely interesting, although very un-PC. I've wanted to read it for a while, since it had such an effect on pop-culture. I found it at the library on Saturday and have read 4/5 of it.

3. I went to an amazing church service on Sunday at Central Pres. My family used to go there when my sister and I were very small, but I have a feeling it is more liberal now than it was then (as my father is somewhat conservative). It was so wonderful to be able to pay attention during the sermon, and actually get something from it. It was so inspiring - I took notes, and I NEVER do that. Well, sometimes I write snide comments in my bulletin. But not this time. It just shows me all I am missing at my current church home. If I had to choose a church right now, I think it would be this church over St. James Episocopal. Partly because, although baptized Episcopalian, I am not used to the high church stuff they do.

update: TCM will be showing my fave Reagan movie on Thursday, June 10. See the schedule for the day here. It's showing at 3:15pm my time.