Thursday, January 20, 2005

Jim Wallis on Fresh Air today

Jim Wallis (of Sojourners) will be on Fresh Air today to talk about his new book God’s Politics: Why the Right Gets It Wrong and the Left Doesn’t Get It. I read he will also be doing Inauguration coverage with Tim Russert for NBC. I'm not watching it, but if I chose to, I'd watch it for him. I was able to catch him on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart Tuesday night. I think he did a pretty decent job, given that Jon Stewart seemed not to have much of a clue what his work is about.

I got into Jim Wallis after hearing him speak at my small college my freshman year. There weren't too many people there to listen, but he is such a great speaker. He's about as charismatic as Millard Fuller (of Habitat for Humanity). I took notes voluntarily at his speech, and was able to go to a dinner discussion with him afterwards. It was awesome. I am always eager to see him or catch him in the media whenever possible.

He was in the Frontline special about Bush and Jesus. Very good.

NPR : Fresh Air from WHYY for Wednesday, Jan. 19, 2005 - link to yesterday's program. I usually don't care for Fresh Air, but I'll listen to it for Jim Wallis!

update: It seems I was wrong about Jon Stewart. On Jim's book tour blog, he states, "Before the show, Jon came back to the "green room" to say hello. I soon realized he had read God's Politics from cover to cover (as his producer told me he had) which, I can tell you, is not always the case with show hosts. Stewart asked some very smart questions about the global poverty issues, the up-coming G8 Summit in the UK, the roles of British Chancellor of the Exchequer Gordon Brown and Prime Minister Tony Blair (both of whom are discussed in the book). I felt Jon's warmth and receptiveness right away to both the issues of justice and the spiritual/faith dimension to it all."(Notes from the Road: Thoughts on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart)