Wednesday, September 10, 2003

Books you should read.


I just emailed my pal J in Houston a list of books to check out, and have decided to pass them on to you, my loyal (?) blogreaders.

GOOD WORKS:

Cold Mountain, Charles Frazier (soon to be a movie with Nicole Kidman and Renee Z) - I resisted it when it came out, but it really does deserve any kudos it gets.

Three Junes, Julia Glass - not about three gals named June, but three months of June in three people's lives. So well-done, I recommend it to everyone. The first June is a bit tedious, but the other two make up for it, I promise.

The Blind Assassin, Margaret Atwood. I'm working on her latest book right now (Oryx and Crake), but I remember being blown away by this one.

A LITTLE LIGHTER READING:

Open House, Elizabeth Berg. I LOVE this book - it is pretty light reading, but so well-written. I also like Until the Real Thing Comes Along, Range of Motion, and Pull of the Moon.

Back When We Were Grownups, Anne Tyler. I don't know if you are an Anne Tyler fan or not, but this is a good one.

Prodigal Summer, Barbara Kingsolver. Did you read The Poisonwood Bible? I didn't like it as much as I have enjoyed her other books. This one is good, but I also recommend The Bean Trees and Pigs in Heaven.

Welcome to the World, Baby Girl! and Standing in the Rainbow, Fannie Flagg. I really liked Fried Green Tomatoes, but these really touched me. Good modern Southern lit.

your bibliophile pal -
Elizabeth

My addition for you blogreaders (all three of you):

After Dachau, Daniel Quinn. A mind-blowingly good book based in an alternate present. Definitely makes you think. I read it two years ago, have read MANY books since, and I still remember it. It's that good.