Monday, July 14, 2003

Happy Bastille Day! I like Bastille Day because the public radio station here plays the French National Anthem, which is one of the longest I know of. But rather pretty. I don't understand a word of it, not being French, but I do enjoy hearing it.

I saw my newest favorite episode of The Simpsons last night. The writing is so well-done on that show. In this episode, Bart is in a "non-Christian youth group" called the Pre-Teen Braves, and Milhouse is in the Cavalry Kids. There is a rivalry between the groups and there is an all-out brawl at the end of the episode. Seeing Marge crying, the Captain suggests that they join in song, and instead of singing an anthem to war, like America's song, that they sing a nice peaceful hymn, so he breaks out with "Oh, Canada!" They all join hands, singing and making the form of a maple leaf. It kills me every time. I think this was the best episode of this past season.

I worked two hours and fifteen minutes on Saturday and I'm not staying late today. J and I are probably going to see Legally Blonde 2 and since she is moving to Houston soon, I'd like to be able to do more with her before she leaves. =(

I finished I Capture the Castle last night, and am wary of seeing the upcoming film version of it now. Overall it was a funny book, but the ending was a bit of a downer. I'm wondering if they will change the ending for the movie.

CD of the day: AfroCelt Sound System, Further in Time. I love the Peter Gabriel collaboration on "When You're Falling". Little bit of trivia: that song was on the list that Clear Channel sent its stations of recommended songs NOT to play after September 11. Isn't that ridiculous? I believe "Leaving on a Jet Plane" was on that list also. Thank heaven for media consolidation, because otherwise we'd actually hear some decent music.