Thursday, July 10, 2003

So, my friend K and I might be taking a "mini-break" (as the Brits call it) a few days before V's wedding. I'm trying to see if we can stay with my grandfather and Es, but they aren't back from South Carolina yet. This strange voice answered their phone and threw me off - it turns out my step-uncle (Es's son, not too much older than me) is housesitting for them. What is sad is that I can't remember his name. I have way too many relatives and step-relatives to remember all their names. I guess that happens when your grandfather marries three times. Anyway - I'll have to call them this weekend, I guess.

L and I are trying to win Lyle Lovett tickets from KGSR. I don't think we are going to be successful, but we're gonna try. We both agree the only way we will go back to the Backyard is through free tickets. It just isn't worth $40 to pay and sit in an outside ampitheater in my humid town, surrounded by smokers, unable to see the stage because someone with a cowboy hat is sitting in front of you. The last concert I saw there was Lyle a few years ago and we left early because the concert and venue were so awful. Sorry, Lyle. I'm about to give up on this.

I remember when I worked at the "unnamed" local radio station that plays music aimed towards 20-50 year-old males, I hated answering the calls into the station. The DJ I worked with (who is now programming director) would just leave me in charge of the playlist, the telephones, the equipment, everything, while he "worked" in his office. I remember having to take bathroom breaks whenever we played "Riders on the Storm" or "Stairway to Heaven". Ah, the life of a high-school intern. He would always try to get me to stay after my three hours until his shift was over, but I rarely did.

My attempts to win these tickets remind me of that. I would push the buttons related to the phone lines and say, "number one", "number two", etc. I think these people really wanted to be on the radio themselves, but they never were when I was on the board. Sorry, guys.

I'm still planning to see The Philadelphia Story tonight. I'm hoping there won't be too many people there, but am assuming there will be, since Kate died last week. =( It will be great to see it on the big screen!

I heard on NPR this morning that Congress has struck down the investigation into the use of the Department of Homeland Security facilities to search for those Killer Ds. I am mighty disappointed about this. I can't find any story about this online. Perhaps the DJ made it up. I can hope, can't I?

CD of the day: Chicago, soundtrack to the motion picture. Love it!