Monday, July 14, 2003

Why I have never supported Dubya


I've decided it is time to share my experience with the world.

When I was in fifth grade, my class went to the campaign headquarters of Dukakis and Bush. We went to the Dukakis headquarters first, then were told we would have a surprise at the Bush headquarters. I wasn't too excited, because I was already a Democrat at that point. I took the Bush-Quayle sticker they gave me and tore it, making it "Quush-Bayle". It looked pretty cool (I must admit I stole the idea from another student in my class).

We're lined up for the surprise when the teachers announce what our surprise is: Bush's son (guess who!) was going to meet us! Most of the kids were quite excited (I went to a Southern Baptist school), but I wasn't too eager. He came in the door and was shaking hands with the girls while complimenting them and patting the boys on the back. He gets to me and slaps me on the back, saying, "Hey, bud!" I solemnly replied, "I'm a girl, sir!" Much flustered, he apologized and walked to the next student in line.

Gendering happens often in society, but given that I was in fifth grade and growing accordingly, it was pretty obvious I was a girl. I should also note there are MANY other reasons why I would never vote for Bush, but this event is always in the back of my mind.

That's all! and isn't it enough?!