Tuesday, August 12, 2003

I've added a new motto on my side menu here; I figure this site is more "fair and balanced" than Faux News on any day! Click on my motto to read more about it.

You may ask, as my sister has, why do I want to become Episcopalian? Well, I was baptized Episcopalian, but that was a while ago. . . the fact that they have made an openly gay man a bishop gives me great hope for other Protestant denominations (I'm not kidding myself about the Southern Baptists, tho). The Presbys are supposed to discuss accepting homosexuals at the next General Assembly. I'm afraid it will break up the church.

The problem is - the majority of Presbyterian churchgoers are past the age of 55. I may be exagerrating slightly, but not much. The older generations tend to be more set in what they expect from worship and their church. I can't think that all of them will be open-minded when it comes to accepting gay or lesbian preachers. I'm not that naive. I do think there will be a large number of people that are ready to accept that, because they realize the Presbyterian Church will slowly dwindle down to nil if we don't figure out a way to get more people involved. Since it wasn't that long ago that the Presbyterian Church U.S.A. was divided into Northern and Southern sections, I fear that this issue could split it again.

I'm wondering what people in my own congregation think. Hmm. I know some of them would agree with me, but I fear a lot of them wouldn't.

If my denomination doesn't get its act together soon, I may be attending an Episcopalian Church. We'll see!